cmake-based build system
Our current home-grown build system consists of:
- the ./build shell script
- the ./smart-build.pl Perl script
- an autoconfiscated configure script
- an assortment of hand-written Makefiles
- completely separate build systems (hwloc, ROMIO, ...)
- Users are more familiar with the build system.
- We can provide reasonable defaults, such that users do not have to specify the network layer, SMP mode, optimization options etc.
- Fix issues with the current build system (e.g., Makefiles that ignore errors, infinite recompilation of some files, ...)
- It is supported on all platforms we support.
- It is installed on most systems.
- It only requires a C++ compiler.
- It has integrated testing and packaging frameworks.